Founded in 2008, the US Water Alliance advances policies and programs that build a sustainable water future for all. The Alliance is driving a One Water movement—an approach to water stewardship that is innovative, inclusive, and integrated. We:
- Educate. Build a diverse base of One Water Champions through mutual discovery, education, and engagement with all who have a stake in our water future. Education and public awareness through initiatives like the Value of Water Campaign lead to public and political will for investment in sustainable water infrastructure and water resources.
- Accelerate. Convene diverse interests to identify and advance practical, achievable solutions to our nation’s most pressing water challenges. The US Water Alliance does this through a multi-faceted set of programs that support knowledge building and peer exchange, such as: An Equitable Water Future, One Water Hub, and more.
- Celebrate. Celebrate what works to spread and drive innovation in water. For Example, the US Water Prize shines a light on those who engage in groundbreaking work and focuses attention on how One Water leaders are building stronger communities and a stronger America.
The US Water Alliance is a national nonprofit organization with offices in Oakland, CA and Washington, DC. For more information, please visit our website: uswateralliance.org.
The Communications Intern contributes to the US Water Alliance’s success by supporting external communications to drive content and messaging in support of our programmatic priorities. We are looking for a detail-oriented self-starter who can jump in, take initiative, and support to the Alliance’s Communications and Programs teams.
Reporting to the Communications Manager, the Communications Intern will work closely with staff and consultants on our communications materials, messages, and websites. While there is potential to work on a number of communications projects, the primary responsibilities will be to help manage the Alliance’s websites and email communications. The ideal candidate for this role will be a strong writer, have an eye for detail, and be a team player ready to learn new skills and work with a talented team of communications professionals.
This is a part-time role at 20 hours a week, for a period of six months with the possibility of extension. This role will be remote as social distancing protocols are in place, and will then work out of our Oakland, CA office. The salary for this position is $800 semi-monthly.
- Support website management by making updates on the Alliance’s three websites, and work with the Communications Manager and the Alliance’s designer and web developer to create a revamped website in 2021.
- Work with the Communications Manager to draft and schedule emails in Pardot and assist in the creation of an introductory email series for new email subscribers.
- Work with staff to apply for Google for Nonprofits and work with the Communications Manager to qualify for Google Ads.
- Explore ways to measure the market share of the Alliance’s digital reach and update the Alliance’s monthly tracker of key performance indicators with analytics around website traffic and email performance.
- Support the production of Alliance materials including research papers, presentations, fact sheets, videos, press materials, and organizational marketing materials.
- Support Program staff by writing and scheduling blog posts and emails about report publications and announcements, including drafting and proofing communications materials.
- Write case studies and success stories for the Alliance’s blog, newsletter, annual report, and other communications channels.
- Write and review award applications and other programmatic materials as needed.
- Assist with speaking engagements for staff by creating talking points and background briefings.
In addition to the duties summarized above, this position may provide administrative and event support as needed for a range of US Water Alliance projects.
- Completed, or working toward, a college degree in communications or related field
- Experience with an email management system (Pardot preferred), knowledge of basic HTML a plus
- Experience with or willingness to learn website content management platforms such as WordPress or Drupal
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, storytelling expertise, and a willingness to learn
- Essential competencies include proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Outlook, Excel, and Word
- Integrity, positive attitude, and passion, for the Alliance’s mission, vision, and values
Please send your CV/resume, a cover letter, and two original, unedited writing samples. Please email your application to email@example.com with “Communications Intern” in the subject line.
The position will remain open until we find the right candidate to join our team. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis. We encourage you to submit your application at the earliest opportunity.
The US Water Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and a welcoming workplace.