Senior Program Manager for Equitable Infrastructure
The US Water Alliance seeks a Senior Program Manager to provide community engagement, facilitation, partner engagement, and program and project management support. The Senior Program Manager will serve as a key leader in the Alliance’s emerging Equitable Infrastructure Initiative, which supports communities to equitably develop, fund, and deliver multi-benefit water, wastewater, and stormwater infrastructure.
Through our Equitable Infrastructure Initiative, the Alliance helps communities access federal funding to build water and wastewater infrastructure in a way that supports equitable outcomes and builds community resilience. The program includes two main components. The first component includes working directly with between 25-35 communities per year to build their capacity to access and spend federal grant and loan money. Through this role, the Alliance works with a team of partners who provide financial, engineering, community engagement, and managerial assistance to communities. The second main component includes supporting training, facilitation, and convenings to build the capacity of partners who provide this type of assistance to communities. Reporting to the Director of Local Engagement, the Senior Program Manager will develop and implement a wide range of projects and programs that require excellent project management skills and significant engagement with multiple stakeholders including Alliance leadership, program staff, and external partners. They are responsible for the operational success of the Alliance’s initiatives, ensuring seamless program delivery and quality. This position requires frequent travel.
What You’ll Do
Directly Support Communities
- Travel to communities across the country to support public and stakeholder engagement in support of the Alliance’s Equitable Infrastructure Initiative.
- Coordinate with other Alliance staff and partners to ensure that public and stakeholder input features strongly in the infrastructure recommendations that are provided to communities by the Alliance and its partners.
- Research and understand the context and infrastructure challenges of each community to help inform community engagement efforts and contribute to team recommendations.
- Support the Equitable Infrastructure team in refining its community assistance approach, process, and procedures.
- Manage multiple teams of professionals from the Alliance and other partners who are providing the full range of technical assistance to communities. This includes tracking and reporting on project progress; elevating, troubleshooting, and addressing challenges; and ensuring smooth cross-team coordination and communication.
Support Equitable Infrastructure Program Development
- Collaboratively craft and deliver overall program strategy, policy, content, and growth.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the success of core program components and ensure consistent, high-quality work products.
- Ensure compliance with administrative requirements and processes.
- Serve as lead facilitator for diverse stakeholder groups that include water utilities, government agencies, community groups, engineering firms, environmental justice leaders, other technical assistance providers, and philanthropy to advance program deliverables as needed.
- Foster and help organize peer exchanges and convenings that support equitable infrastructure.
- Serve as a program spokesperson at convenings, conferences, and when working with partners.
- Work closely with other staff to maximize the synergies across program areas.
- Execute existing program offerings and contribute to new programming based on needs identified in the field.
- Supervise staff and consultants as needed.
Provide Organizational Support
- Support the Alliance’s network building strategy by helping recruit and onboard new members, building effective partnerships, and engaging in coalitions for the organization.
- Represent the Alliance through in-person meetings, phone calls, conference attendance, and presenting at national meetings.
- Serve as an external ambassador for the US Water Alliance through public speaking, relationship building, and coordinating strategic partnerships.
- Support fundraising activities as needed, including but not limited to drafting program-specific content for proposals and meeting with philanthropic partners.
- Support One Water Summit as needed with logistical, programmatic, and operational tasks.
What you bring to this role
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field; graduate degree preferred
- Minimum of eight years of experience in a related field
- Demonstrated experience in public engagement and facilitation
- Demonstrated experience managing teams of professionals to achieve multiple benefits across programs
- Demonstrated excellence in planning and implementing innovative programs or policies related to water, infrastructure, sustainability, community development, or related sectors
- Demonstrated experience in writing policy analyses, reports, articles, or related materials
- Strong relationships with key organizations and leaders in fields of interest related to the mission and programs of the US Water Alliance
- Planning/education background preferred
- Experience working with utilities on water, wastewater, or stormwater matters
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Ability to launch, implement, and successfully complete project or program deliverables independently
- Ability to manage projects and programs
- Demonstrated capacity for critical, independent, and creative thinking
- Well-organized and able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to deliver strategic results while functioning on a high-performing team
- Ability to operate at strategic and tactical levels, often working on fast-moving projects on tight timelines
- Comfortable working collaboratively and efficiently to create new systems, lead implementation, and support colleagues to successfully meet expectations
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, GIS, and other planning tools preferred
- Passion for water, sustainability, and the mission of the US Water Alliance
- Dedicated to team success
- A self-starter, a problem solver, and detail-oriented
- Flexibility and openness to changing conditions
Compensation and Location
In addition to a competitive salary of $85,000 – $115,000 (commensurate with experience), the US Water Alliance offers an excellent benefits package that includes paid vacation, health, vision, dental insurance, and a 401(k)-retirement plan. Qualified candidates will be considered regardless of location. While most work is performed remotely, travel will be required for on-site events, gatherings, and program and/or development needs.
Please send your CV/resume, cover letter, and a writing sample to email@example.com with “Application: Senior Program Manager for Equitable Infrastructure” in the subject line. The writing sample should include a policy analysis, report, article, or related materials. Applicant materials will be accepted through March 28, 2023. To download the full Senior Program Manager for Equitable Infrastructure job description, click here.
What to Expect
We’ll review your application materials for experience, knowledge, and abilities required to successfully perform the job. Only those selected to advance in this process will be contacted for an interview. Candidates must possess current and valid US Work Authorization and be eligible to work for any US employer without sponsorship.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment will be contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.
If you require assistance due to a disability in the application or recruitment process, please submit a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.