Sneak Peek: What's Happening for Imagine a Day Without Water
Imagine a Day Without Water is only three weeks away! As the national day of education and advocacy draws closer, we wanted to highlight a few of the inventive and exciting ways organizations around the country are spreading the word about the value of water. We hope the events listed below will inspire you to show your community how you #ValueWater.
- Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District, in collaboration with local partners, will be holding a grand opening of their Green Infrastructure Center of Excellence, inviting the public to visit the space and learn about green infrastructure and the free services the center will offer.
- City of Jersey City, NJ and the City of Hoboken, NJ are partnering with local organizations, including New Jersey Future and New Jersey Water Works, to host a number of events throughout the day including a waterfront clean up in Hoboken, catch basin clean up and painting, green infrastructure tours, and and wrapping with Imagine a Day Without Beer event with the New Jersey Craft Brewers Association.
- A number of utilities and city departments, including Illinois American Water; Pawtucket Water Supply Board in Rhode Island; City of Arlington, TX; Soquel Creek Water District; Suez South Jersey, and Tucson Water, are parting with libraries and school districts to host art contests and essay contests asking students to imagine a day without water.
- Hampton Roads Sanitation District is hosting an open house at their SWIFT Research Center where they using innovative technology for water purification.
- Central Arkansas Water and Beaver Water District in Arkansas are sponsoring water-themed trivia nights at local breweries in their area.
- AlexRenew, KC Water, and Florida Keys Aqueduct Authority will be filming short video clips asking local businesses and community partners to imagine a day without water.
- Employees from Raftelis Financial Consultants are taking a pledge to walk 6km on October 12th to represent the average distance women and girls in developing countries walk to collect water.
- Tucson Water is distributing signs and stickers for coffee sleeves & cups to local coffee shops. Arkansas Water Environment Association is distributing 5,000 window clings around the state. Beaufort-Jasper Water & Sewer Authority is distributing 5,000 coasters to bars and restaurants in the area to remind people that a day without water is a day without sweet tea and boiled peanuts!
If your organization has not added its name yet for the national day of education and advocacy, sign up today!